Frith postcard dating Dhon com xxxx
The Officer immediately behind Atkinson is Captain Hopkins, who was in Command of “A” (Chesterfield) Company at this time, whilst Lieutenant Victor Robinson is to the left of the column.In this shot the men are seen marching around the bend at Brierlow Bar close to the main Buxton to Ashbourne Road.Three-inch and 6-inch water supply pipes were laid from Stanley Moor reservoir to the Camp in order to provide the 65,000 gallons of fresh water that was needed daily. (1854-1921); whilst his Staff included General Staff Officer Colonel WAM Thompson R. To the south east of the farm was Hindlow Station on the Cromford & High Peak Line, which may have been the station that many of the men arrived to camp by.The Divisional Headquarters also contained a military post and telegraph office. The rest of the North Midland Division were camped in the Valley along the Buxton to Ashbourne road and close to the C&HPR.In the second picture taken only a few minutes later the men are again seen marching along a typical Derbyshire stonewall enclosed lane to their camping ground at Shallow Farm.The Signal section are the leading unit closely followed by the Battalion band.This postcard was sent by Thomas Ison of “H” (Swadlincote) Company to his fiancé Ada Clements on 4th August.
The approximate positions of the 5th (purple), 6th (red), 7th (blue) and 8th (green) Battalion Camp sites are indicated by the boxed areas. These three cards of part of a series of 25 ‘unique in character’ that depict the Clay Cross Company.He original enlisted into the 2VB, Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regt.) and in “The 5th” (HP Hansen YMCA Series #29).The 5th Battalion, which had marched from Derby to Hindlow Camp, a distance of nearly 40 miles, arrived on Monday with the Robin Hood’s Bugle Band and the 6th Battalion’s Brass Band leading them.The Colour Sergeant wears the crossed rifle and crown badge of best shot in his unit.Robin Hoods arrive (HP Hansen YMCA Series #19) “Robin Hoods” (HP Hansen YMCA Series #15) This photograph was taken from the eastern edge of the Brigade camp looking west towards the 6th Battalion camp ground.